Saturday, April 15, 2006

Canadian Election 2006: What happened? (1)

I did not really want to write this article for two reasons. First, I am typically a "reticent" person and I find it unnatural to write a story of which I was at the very center. I had always hoped that a journalist would interview me. Secondly, I have never wanted to get involved in politics and still don’t. Writing about my experience with politics therefore creates the appearance of a contradiction.

However, in my zeal to disperse the “crazy speculation” in my last blog entry, I unwittingly made a promise. So I felt a certain obligation.

Originally, the title of this article was Bush administration’s “action plan” for Canadian election. Then I found that just focusing on Condoleezza Rice’s article along would not be sufficient to show what happened in the last election campaign. So I ended up with a more ambitious title. Sigh.

I nevertheless hope this exercise may not turn out to be a bad thing. I always feel it’s important to let people have the truth. In particular, Canadian public deserves to have the truth. Also, given the recent rising tension across Taiwan Strait - which was related to my story - I feel it is important to put everything on the table so that there will be no international misunderstandings, intentional or otherwise. So, after some hesitation, I decided that I would broadly outline my part of the story in the context of last Canadian election and hope others will fill in the rest.